Tuesday 7 July 2009

sunshine and rain

It's so exciting going to the allotment this time of year as things grow so quickly. Spring you spend time waiting for seeds to germinate then protecting the seedlings- everything seems slow then bam in the summer it all takes off. The courgettes are growing on the tails of their flowers, coming quicker than you can eat them. I have lovely cucumbers -variety Passandra that my friend recommended - they never go bitter. I picked some of the beetroot as they are growing too close together. I will boil them in their skins for an hour or two till soft and then eat them. Dug up some more potatoes and garlic too. I need to sow some more carrot as half a row did not germinate. The other row of carrots looks great but not big enough to harvest yet. I started to dig up my broad beans as between the black fly and the squirrels there's nothing left. I am going to put in some more dwarf french beans instead as I love them and that means I'll be able to harvest some later. There's loads of black fly this year (dry weather) but on the plus side less slugs. The ladybird larvae are starting to eat their way through the flies. So nice to see so many ladybirds. The rain held out while I was at the allotment then drenched me completely on the way home. Me and the plants were well watered. (I like the rain)
My friend T came over on Monday and let me take some photos on her camera and emailed them to me. What a treat! After she's gone I realised I'd taken pics of the plants but none of my child but she'd taken some.
Chilean potato climber still flowering months later along with second flush of roses.

Tomatoes yipee!!!


Cosmos

Clematis has turned into wonderful fluffy seed heads

White lavender.


2 comments:

  1. I'm turning green with envy again, at your selection of vegetables - especially the beetroot. Have you evergrown yellow ones? In the days when there was a real garden outside the backdoor, I used to love those. Come to think of it, I don't even have a back door any more - just a slider and a paving slab patio! Thanks for visiting my blogland corner today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by. No havent grown yellow beetroot - bet the colour is gorgeous-do they taste different. had yellow courgettes last year liked the colour more than the taste.

    ReplyDelete