Thursday 4 February 2010

Writing

I made it over to the allotment on Monday for the first time in weeks. I forgot my mobile and I don't wear a watch so I lost all track of time. I'm glad I did as it looks like it is going to have been the only sunny day of this week and I badly needed some rays. I dug out fists of bindweed from the compost heap on my newer plot. It was very satisfying removing them - though I can't help admiring their ability to rejuvenate. I planted some raspberry canes (Autumn Bliss)- but now I come to think of it I wonder if i was supposed to separate them. There was about 5 or 6 sticks in each pot- now is that one plant or lots? Help anyone? Either way I'm sure they are happier in the ground than in the pot. I chose those rasperries coz they sound easy to maintain-unlike other raspberries you cut the right down after fruiting and next years berries come on new growth only.
I have written a couple of short pieces but feel like I have an ingredient missing that stops them being short stories. Like bread without yeast. I want them to rise but maybe they are destined to be pitta breads-there's nothing wrong with being pittas but I was hoping for something else. Maybe I should just concentrate on making good pittas.
The novel is trawling along slowly. I think I have ten versions of the same scene and other scenes are completely absent. I keep moving bits around which is quite exciting as the tension of the story changes and yes it feels like I am kneading the dough and it's gonna rise.
All that bread talk is making me hungry. Off to lunch. Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. That's what I've been doing at the allotment, bindweed and raspberries! Bindweed roots are such a pain!

    ps. I think pittas are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to admit that I love the feel and look of bindweed roots- though they are very annoying when you are growing stuff. raspberries- did you plant one stick at a time or did you put contents of one pot in one hole?
    thanks for pitta comment - I think I will just try and perfect them for now and forget abt yeast. Happy allotmenting

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have far too much snow - in places the stuff pushed up by the plows is higher than I am - to even thin about gardening - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's a lot of snow. We've had some really bright mild days but due to get cold again. I find it's tiring coz one minute you want to hibernate the next you want to bounce around and start digging only to find the ground is frozen again. Still it's nice to smell spring isn't far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pittas...that made me laugh. I love pitta bread! Haven't got a clue about the raspberries...just know they taste nice! Leave the short stories for a day or two, then add the yeast...they will rise.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. cheers Tina- currently I don't seem to be doing much writing at all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. writing is an incremental art. One word and then another. As long as you can do that, you're fine.

    I wrote a piece about this

    http://workinprogressinprogress.blogspot.com/2009/04/work-in-progress-john-guzlowski.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you - I will have read as I keep finding excuses to put the brakes on.

    ReplyDelete