Wednesday, 18 February 2009

kew gardens

Just had a lovely day at kew gardens. This witchhazel looked stunning. There's not much colour around at this time of year so it is so very welcome. It has a beautiful fresh smell. The flowers are like cheerleaders' pompoms but with a dark heart. There are reddy orange ones too and they have a more spicy intense fragance.




There were various displays of orchids and air plants in different glass houses. Yes air plants - they don't need any soil just a moist environment. So weird just to see a living plant drapped like tinsel over a tree's branch. There was an arch(bit of it in picture)entwined with pitcher plants -looked beautiful and evil at the same time.
Visited the aquarium under the Palm House. If i was a designer I'd pinch ideas off the fish as they have some mad patterns. Beautiful bream- I stood and had a nice chat with it - I think it's used to more company. It seemed weird that we eat creatures that are so kissable. I'm not a vegetarian and can't see me giving up meat but no harm in thinking about it.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't been at Kew in ages. I used to love it when I lived in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must go to Kew together this year sometime. I have been once, but only saw a little of it. I am going to grow some hanging toms and strawberries with Ryver....I think it was Linda McCartney who said we shouldn't eat anything with a face on it....but like you I still do.
    I use fishes at times for my bead colours, so I know just what you mean.
    Glad to hear the plaster is still on...(you know what I mean)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...great photo of the witch hazel.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiya Martha. You have lived different lives! I love kew - when I was a student i was lucky enough to live in Chiswick for a year and used to walk to kew from there. it was a a few pennies to get in then. Luckily the hubby and kids love it too so have been going about twenty years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina we should definately go - I've got premier friend season ticket so can get you in discount or free. We'll have to make a date. How lovely to have somewhere you can use all those beautiful patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps tina - when you doing your tomato seeds? or you getting plants?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um...hadn't really thought it through. But I am thinking seed, and have plants as a back up if I need them. I love Kew but it is only me in my house who does...I am sure Ryver will love it mind you he hasn't been yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Meredith. thanks glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete